STYLE DIRECTOR/BARBER & SENIOR EDUCATOR
Length of service: 15 years
Available: Tuesday to Saturday 9am to 7pm
Joey spent 4 years commuting from his home town of Brighton (hence his Joey Sussex nick-name within the team!) to undertake the Richard Ward in-house Training Programme, completing his training in 2010. Personally working with Richard for much of that time, Joey has gleaned a wealth of experience assisting in TV and session work such as shoots for Vogue magazine.
Twice winner of our Junior of the Year competition, and with a hairdressing and barbering family background, Joey thrives on the salon floor working on his loyal clients. His young, modern approach to hairdressing ensures he is growing a loyal clientele who appreciate his burgeoning talent has seen him work along side Artistic Director, Cristiano on the salon’s signature collection, John Smedley’s show in Men’s Fashion Week and his work has featured on both the Hairdressers Journal stages and the Fellowship For British Hairdressing Stage at HJ Live. Joey has also been a recipient of own in-house award for Employee of the Year; this prestigious award is voted by the management team to acknowledge not only technical excellence, personal growth but also consistency in performance throughout the year.
Joey’s unique barbering skills and sharp, precision cutting offer a level of expertise unsurpassed for his price tier. Senior Stylist Joey is also a trained Kerastasé Ambassador and his excellent customer service skills ensure his reputation for delivering the ultimate client experience is cemented.
Assisting Education Director Nando Lopes, Joey’s role as Senior Educator ensures he helps mentor, educate and develop the younger team of apprentices through to the completion of their in-house training programme, passing on his skills and talents to the next generation of RW staff.
Every member of the Richard Ward Hair & Metrospa Team is fully qualified and extensively trained in every aspect of hair services however Joey’s particular areas of expertise include:
- Barbering Boss – Coming from a long line of family barbers, Joey has a natural aptitude for delivering on-point gentlemen’s haircuts. If the end result is a classic look and finish then Joey has become central to leading the field in this area of expertise.
- Contemporary Men – Joey loves doing all aspects of contemporary work. Primarily this is made up from clipper work; he is the master of the perfect blend. Over the years joey has experimented with his own hair and many of these cuts have been taught and past-on through three generations; grandfather, father and now son, so you could say these master skills are in his blood.
- Sexy Scissoring – Scissor over comb is an essential skill set for those clients who wish to take their hair short but want a softer finish, this expert cutting work takes a good eye and a stylist who can cut in a strong foundation to work with. Highly specialised, this free-hand technique also offers the stylist more freedom with gradients in the hair, something that clipper work does not allow for.
- Precision Definition – Joey is the master of the precision cut with attention to detail that is second to none. He really prides himself on clean sections and working with the natural lay of the hair to produce his consistent sharp finish that has become a trademark look for his work. Think classic French or graduated bob or any variation along this theme.
- Modernity Master – Joey’s passion for precision makes him one of our foremost stylists in the field of contemporary cutting and the perfect go-to for updating your look. Forward thinking, he will take into consideration what will work for the individual client’s hair texture and density, managing expectations to give a contemporary cut that will work for the client not only when they leave the cutting chair but for the weeks between salon visits.
To view Joey’s prices as a Style Director/Barber, please click here.